This soup is so simple, that I just threw it together with items I already had in my fridge and pantry! It’s incredibly flavourful without having any frills, and you can easily serve this as a vegetarian dish by omitting the sausage!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspooon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can good quality tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 lb andouille sausage
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- a good bunch of cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream, grated cheese, and cilantro leaves for garnish
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil.
Add the onion when the oil has reached temperature, stirring occasionally until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add the garlic, along with the cumin, oregano and cayenne. Cook for another 2 minutes until fregrant.
Add the black beans, the tomatoes, and the stock, and simmer, partially covered for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage until browned.
Add the sausage to the beans, along with the lime juice and cilantro, and season with salt and pepper.
Let simmer for another 2-3 minutes to let the flavours merry.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with a dollup of sour cream, some cheese, and some cilantro leaves.